Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Curly Girl Method [Styling]

On my last post (Curly Girl Method [Drying]) I explained how easy it is to dry your hair. Now you can style your hair just as easily! Most CG followers, myself included, combine the drying and styling steps. It's easy, saves time, and allows your curls to dry frizz free! 

So once you have gotten your hair to the point is no longer dripping, but still fairly wet we can continue on to styling. Applying your styling products while your hair is wet keeps the frizz down and locks in moisture.

Step 1: You want to use about 1 Tbsp. (more or less depending on hair length) of CG approved clear gel. In my next post I will further explain what is a CG approved gel, but for now let's just focus on the method. Rub the gel in your palms to emulsify it. Bend over and scrunch the gel upwards toward your scalp. Start with the back of your head and save the top of your head for last. 

Step 2: Flip your head back over so you are now standing normally. Now take either more gel, or a light styling cream and continue to scrunch hair into place. I like to scrunch a bit with my CG towel to remove any excess moisture and product, but you don't have to do this. 

Step 3: Let your hair AIR DRY (if you are in a hurry you can finish with a diffuser, but I never do this. In fact, I don't even own a hair dryer). 

Step 4. DON'T TOUCH YOUR HAIR FOR 1 HOUR!!! If you touch your hair while it's drying you will cause frizz. So refrain from touching it.

Step 5. Once your hair is dry, flip your head over gently and scrunch out that crunch. Flip your head back over and gently shake head to fluff or separate your curls. That's it! You're ready to go!!

I know it seems like a lot of steps, but once you do it you'll find that it's easy. From cleansing to styling there are a lot of products to choose from. So in my next post i'll cover what to look for and what to avoid so you can use CG approved products in your routine!!

Next Post



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about hair coloring? Obviously it is not good for your hair, but I am not ready to go gray yet.

Unknown said...

Use a temporary color or an all natural colorant like henna